Sacred Cow #6: Mormons don’t perform human sacrifices

I was reading in Jeremiah this week at Church (yes, I know. The New Testament is the one being taught in Sunday School.  I will repent for not sticking to the “program”)  and came across a really interesting scripture in Jeremiah about human sacrifice.  It struck me, many (if not all) of us are doing this (in one way or another) today!

Read the rest at The Mormon Chronicle here http://www.mormonchronicle.com/sacred-cow-6-mormons-don%E2%80%99t-perform-human-sacrifices/

About Ezra Taylor

Ezra Taylor is a co-founder of The Mormon Chronicle. He has appeared in national (Fox news, USA Today), as well as several other regional publications. Ezra also writes for several freedom oriented publications, has been a radio talk show host and is a grassroots organizer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sacred Cow #6: Mormons don’t perform human sacrifices

1. Wendy Mayo says:

Way to be controversial! I homeschooled both my children, BUT, there are many people out there who cannot. Why? Because they both work full-time jobs. Not because they have a big-screen TV, boat, RV, etc., but because that’s what this economy requires. What choice do they have? Part of their responsibility of being a parent is to provide for the temporal needs of their children. I guess they and their children could take a government handout or live on the streets, but then what kind of message does that teach? No, I don’t agree that people sacrifice their children by sending them to public school if the reason is that they can’t afford to stay home and educate them. Of course, there are others…

• Ezra Taylor says:

Agreed. Intent is crucial. However, we have to be honest with ourselves and make sure what we are doing is for their good, or for ours.

And the example of government school was just that, an example. There are many ways we do this.

2. Cory says:

Some people put themselves in a position such that both parents have to work, and then complain that the economy is the problem. Some things that people think are necessities, i.e., owning a home, two cars, etc., can often be altars upon which we sacrifice ourselves, our children, and our future. Sacrifice of “things,” if our income is modest (or even if it’s not), in order to conserve our time for doing good, can bring blessings in so many ways.

3. G. Michael says:

President John Taylor, the first Superintendent of Education for the new state of Utah, stated that he had grave doubts that either the children who attended public schools or their parents would later be worthy of exaltation. Elder Gene R. Cook reported recently that the Church is now losing 60% of it’s youth, the majority of whom attend public schools. Was the Lord telling the truth back when President Taylor issued that warning? Of course He was. But most of us don’t listen to prophetic warnings anymore do we? I was even told by both my branch president and my stake president that such warnings are “negative pessimisms”. I kidd you not. I was told that such warnings hurt the members feelings, especially the socialist members. I live in Louisiana, not Russia. All is not well in Zion. Our Church seems to be lurching toward Sodom and Gomorrah at about the same speed as are other churches. Whereas homosexuals used to be denied baptism, now they are not only baptized but serve missions and have callings. The population of Utah has about the same per capita income as the other states do, but boasts the highest per household income because it also has the highest percentage of working mothers. And then we wonder why we are losing our youth, why the parable of the ten virgins refers to ten active members as President Benson stated, why Matthew 7:21–23 is “exclusively” about High Priests and Seventies as stated by President John Taylor, and why the Lord stated that the cleansing of the earth would begin “within My own House”. Stop wondering. Look in the mirror and see the reason.

• Jim Turner says:

Since when are practicing homosexuals given baptism or the other things you mentioned. Repentant Homosexuals who will probably struggle to over come the temptation are allowed Baptism. Let us not forget the principle of forgiveness as it is up to the LORD to forgive not us we are required to.

I am an adulterer. However, I have been excomunicated, repented, been rebaptized and have held many callings since the transgression. Should I be excluded from holding those calling because of past repented of transgression?

The statement you made about homosexuals is completely false. I am afraid you will have to back that one up with proof.

• Ezra Taylor says:

What is a “practicing homosexual”? There are many that date, and do the things “normal” Mormons do while dating, but are considered in good standing because they haven’t gone “all the way”. Since when? Since at least last year, in some places longer. It’s in the newest HBI. It is not completely false, though I did not make it. Refer to the newest HBI.

4. Hi G. Michael – Do you have a reference to President Taylor’s statement. This is the first time I have read someone make reference to it and I’d like to read the text in full if possible. Thanks.

Thanks for the post Ezra – something to think about. Progressive Education in America started a long time ago and as Pres. Packer said in the late 1990s, we’re seeing the fruits of it in society.

• Ezra Taylor says:

Thanks Believe
      The quote you are looking for can be found here http://www.ldsliberty.org/government-schools-no-celestial-kingdom/

“And then we want to study also the principles of education, and to get the very best teachers we can to teach our children; see that they are men and women who fear God and keep his commandments. We do not want men or women to teach the children of the Latter-day Saints who are not Latter-day Saints themselves. Hear it, you Elders of Israel?” (General Conference April 1879)

“I am told in the revelations to bring up my children in the fear of God. Now we are engaged in building our temples that we may become united and linked together by eternal covenants that shall exist in all time and throughout eternity. And then when we have done all this go and deliberately turn our children over to whom? To men who do not believe the Gospel, to men who, according to your faith are never going to the celestial kingdom of God. And you will turn your children over to them. And you call yourselves Latter-day Saints, do you? I will suppose a case. You expect to be saved in the celestial kingdom of God. Well, supposing your expectations are realized, which I sometimes doubt, and you look down, down somewhere in a terrestrial or telestial kingdom, as the case may be, and you see your children, the offspring that God had given you to train up in his fear, to honor him and keep his commandments. And supposing they could converse with you what would be their feelings toward you? It would be, Father, Mother, you are to blame for this. I would have been with you if you had hot tampered with the principles of life and salvation in permitting me to be decoyed away by false teachers, who taught incorrect principles. And this is the result of it. But then I very much question men and women’s getting into the Celestial kingdom of God who have no more knowledge about principles of life and salvation than to go and tamper with the sacred offspring, the principle of life which God entrusted to your care, to thus shuffle it off to imbibe the spirit of unbelief, which leads to destruction and death.”

5. Jim Turner says:

I think in your Podcast A Celestial Education it was brought out that no matter how you choose to educate your children oyu can still have them participating in a celestial education at home. athey may be learning Math at the school in th eneighborhood but whn doing home work we can help our children understand the eternal language that Math is.

My wife and I home school mainly because we have 3 Autistic children and the School District we are in here in Maryland isn’t very good at teaching ” normal children” let alone Autistic ones. But, if our children were in a public school we would ensure we taught them correct principles at home.

For instatnce to correct the false theroy of climate change when the children come home we teach them the eternal law of stewartship as the way to handle and use the natural resorces our Heavenly Father has given us for our benefit and use. We can show them in the scriptures that man was given dominion over the earth. All the plants, animals, and minerals we given to man to use righteously and as needed or desired. Man was not given dominion over man. After all the cliamte change theroy is presented as a problem so a solution of Anti-Agency can be emplimented.

There are many other examples of where we as parents can bring a celestial education to our children even if they attend a public school.